Reader Question: Desktop Organization

When I logged on to Facebook yesterday morning I was greeted with the most lovely surprise: a question from a reader! Yay! This question came from my friend Amy. Enjoy! 


"Hey Megan! So... I moved home and I'm trying to figure out how to organize my desk. After lots of thinking I figured I should just ask the best organizer! I have a huge white kitchen table that I use as a desk. I have my computer and extra monitor on my desk and I'd like to keep the essentials on my desk (stapler, hole punch, pencils, etc.) rather than in a drawer. Any ideas? - Amy" 


Amy's desk

Well Amy, I think the best solution for your desktop woes is going to be easy (and inexpensive) to do! Before we can accessorize your desk, there are a few things we have to do. First, clean off your desktop except for bare necessities (computer monitor,  speakers, etc.). Next, go through all of your office supplies and determine what you will actually use and need to keep. If you still have stationary from years ago that you haven't touched, chances are you won't now. Now that you know what office supplies you have, and need to use, you can shop effectively! 

When I visualize the best way to organize your desk, I'm picturing something very similar to the desktop storage pictured below:

image source ]

This picture shows that you can store your necessities on your desk and still have a clean and organized result! Below is a close up of the stackable, functional, and changeable desktop organizing system.

image source ]

The reason these organizers work is because they allow you to store papers, staplers, hole punchers, pens, pencils, and all of the necessary knickknacks that a home office needs. These organizers are from the Martha Stewart collection featured at Staples. They average about $11 a piece but vary depending on the style and accessories of choice. They come in three colors - white, teal, and espresso. Since you purchase each piece separately, you could buy just 1 piece or the whole collection depending on your needs! If you want to buy the least amount of desk accessories as possible, I'd recommend 2 paper trays and using the top one to hold your stapler, hole punch, etc. and act as a shelf for the things you need at your convenience. 

image source ]

If Martha Stewart isn't your style, or you just want to be more colorful, The Container Store offers stackable paper trays in a variety of fun colors! They also offer a transparent version of Martha Stewart's stackable and interchangeable desktop organization system. 

image source ]

image source ]

Another option could be to use a tray - of any kind - to create a designated place to keep it all! This allows you to have a more personal style and add some more interest to your study area. A pretty space is a functional one! 

[ image source ]

You could buy a tray of your own personal style, or get crafty and take a cooking sheet and turn it into something beautiful! 

[ image source ]
[ image source ]

One of the best things about the tray is that it can be easily moved if you need to clear off your desktop for a big project! Well Amy, I hope this helped you! Make sure to send me a picture after you organize your desk! :) Good luck! 

If you have any more tips for Amy or suggestions on how to organize her desk, please leave a comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment